Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Long Wait

This morning I thought I would sit in the photoblind by the pond and photograph a few birds. I was hoping to photograph something different. Not one of the usual caste of characters that come to my backyard. I watched Steller's Jays, Dark Eyed Juncos and Chestnut Backed Chickadees come and go. I photographed a few that were in good light or nice positions. I waited and waited when until I caught a a flash of orange. On the periphery I watched a Varied Thrush sitting beside a rose bush deciding if it was safe to come for a drink. It stayed there for a few seconds then seemed to decide it was safe. It flew downward and landed on one of the rocks in the pond. When I reached toward my camera it took off. Disappointment flooded over me as they are one of the hardest birds to photograph where I live. Then suddenly it appeared once more. It flew to the same rock allowing me to compose several different images before it flew off again. After it left I realized that I had been holding my breath as I began to breathe again! This was my favorite image of the ones I took. I like the ring of water that shows where it had been drinking. God's love to all, chris Equipment Used- Canon 50D and a Canon 100-400 L Is Lens @ 285mm Camera Setting - ISO 400,AV mode, F5.6 at 1/100th of a second

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog a week or so ago. Can't tell you how much I look forward to your photos each day -- especially the birds. I like the water ring in this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you found it, Julie. Thank you very much for your comment. I checked out your blog on Bee Keeping and found it to be pretty fascinating. I never realized how complicated it was to keep bees!

      Delete