Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Great Afternoon at the Feeder

This morning I went out into the front yard and set up a knothole feeder for the birds and squirrels to use. I came back into the house and opened the upper door for Badger the Wonder Dog to use to get out onto the deck. He is great at barking at the Western Gray Squirrels when they try to come to the bird feeders. For some reason he doesn't get as riled up when he sees the diminutive Douglas Tree Squirrels. Just after lunch I went out and crawled into the photoblind. I was in for a little bit of a wait. After almost a half hour of sitting I could hear the incoming calls of a Red-breasted Nuthatch. After that it was one bird after another with some short breaks in between. A couple of Western Gray Squirrels tried to come and feed but I told them to go away and they did. The knothole feeder I was using is far too small for the big grays and they will chew them apart to get at the seed in them. I photographed the birds for close to an hour before a little Douglas Tree Squirrel showed up. It looked like it was one of the regulars that stop by fairly frequently. Because I wanted some squirrel images I didn't scare it away. I'm glad I didn't because I got some great images of it. When the lighting started getting overly bright I called it quits. It took me along time to upload and process the images because there were far too many that I liked. Eventually I narrowed it down for this blog to six images. Please enjoy them and have God's blessings upon your day, chrisAll of the above images were created with a Canon EOS 7D MKII camera and a Canon 100-400 IS USM V.1 lens. Fill flash was provided by a Canon 550EX Speedlight. #teamcanonusa

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful images, well maybe except for the squirrel. ;-P LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for stopping by and commenting, Shelly. I know you just love those squirrels!

      Delete
  2. I like the second picture best because it's an unusual angle. loving the autumn colours in your recent pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty for the comment. it's a lot of fun to photograph the nuthatches as they climb around at all sorts of funny angles even upside down.

      Delete
  3. Your photos are breath-taking! What a treat to see =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your comment, Maggie Ann.

      Delete