Thursday, April 1, 2010

White Deer


This morning I had to run to Ukiah to take care of some business after I worked out. I'm feeling sore all over. No Pain No Gain or hopefully loss as is needed in my case. On the way down I decided to swing through the Ridgewood Ranch to see what I could see. Often times I will see turkeys or white deer if I drive a loop road that goes through the ranch.

The ranch is owned by The Church of the Golden Rule it was originally owned by Frank Howard the owner of the racehorse "Sea Biscuit". He bought 25 white deer from Randolph Hearst in the 1950s and had them trucked up to the ranch from San Simeon and released. They have been around in small numbers ever since.They aren't an albino deer but a species of deer from asia called Fallow Deer.

In any case today I was quite lucky to see both the white deer and wild turkeys as they were both fairly close to the road.
If you are interested in seeing white deer on the ranch it is a hit or miss thing though mostly on the hit side of things if you are a betting person. The ranch is now a conservancy and they offer a wide variety of hikes to see different historical and natural features that the ranch offers.

http://www.seabiscuitheritage.org/conservancy.html

God's blessings to all,

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment