Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Back to Clearlake Part 2 (Back Up the Slough)

After checking out the Western Grebes we paddled about a mile up the slough. We spotted a lot of Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets. Green Herons leap frogged down the slough ahead of us as we went. It's pretty hard to get close to them. I have found over the years that the best approach is to slowly drift towards them and not hardly move at all. When I do move I try to keep my hands and arms close to my body and move very slowly. Florida photographers are probably laughing at this as they read it. When I photographed egrets down there I had them walk right up to me! Using the drift technique I was able to get pretty close to a Great blue Heron and watch it catch and eat a crayfish and a tadpole. When I tried to shift my kayak to a better vantage point it had enough of that and it took off. I spotted only one turtle on the trip and that was from quite a distance. It dove into the water before I was even two hundred feet from it. We had an absolutely marvelous time watching, listening and photographing the wildlife. It was great just enjoying the peace and quiet in the sunshine. Blessings to all, chris Camera Equipment Used- Canon 7D, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens,Bogen 3055 Ballhead with a custom camera support. Camera Settings- AV mode, ISO 400,F stop and a shutter speed varied. All photography was done from a Ultimate 14.5 Native Watercraft Kayak If you are interested in building a custom camera support for a canoe or a kayak please check out my blog on it at http://diyphotocheapodepot.blogspot.com/2011/04/kayak-camera-support.html My book "Secrets of Backyard Bird Photography is being shipped to bookstores this week for release on Sept.11th. That's pretty exciting. Look for it on Amazon and other fine book seller's. It will make a great gift for yourself or a photographer or a birder wanting to photograph birds in their backyard.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos, Chris, of the mirror of life. Thank you so much for sharing. Such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for stopping in for a look, brucejamieson42. I really appreciate people who take the time to leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your comment above and thought I better leave one. I look at your blog almost every day yet I rarely leave comments - sorry! Your photos are truly beautiful and inspiring. I make art quilts and often look at your pictures and would love to turn them into quilts - but I mainly concentrate on native New Zealand birds. I just wish my photography of them was even an incy bit as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are off to a good start Charlotte Scott. You commented on this one! thank you very much. You have some great birds to photograph in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete