Wednesday, January 22, 2014

In Flight

This afternoon I took a short break from the computer and worked on capturing a chickadee in flight. I was trying to capture them just before they landed on the bird feeder. I had a lot of near misses and some really not quite but close images. The close ones included chopped off tails, wings and beaks. No dead birds were involved in the creation of this image. A lot of photographer frustration but no blood. It is amazing to see all of the gyrations and contorted positions that birds can get themselves into before landing. I had a fun time and the birds did too consuming seed to their hearts desires. God's light and precious love to all, chris
Camera Equipment Used- Canon 7D, Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM , Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod with a 3055 Ballhead. Camera Settings- Manual Mode,ISO 3,200, F 5.6, Shutter speed of 1/4,000th of a sec.

2 comments:

  1. I really admire your work, but may i ask, how do you get so close to your subjects? or do you use a really powerful lens? please tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Leon Fisher for the compliment. No problem in telling you how I do it as I'm very open to sharing photography with others. This image was created using a tube feeder filled with black sunflower seeds. The feeder has no landing perch so the birds have to fly up to grab the seed. I set up my camera in a photoblind roughly eight feet away from the feeder. I prefocused a 400 millimeter lens on a point next to the feeder and clicked the shutter every time the chickadees came into grab some seed.

    ReplyDelete