Friday, September 28, 2018

Up Close and Personal

I've never really like images of hummingbirds on feeders. Seeing the feeder included in the image just makes it seem too unnatural. However I took exception to that this morning when I set my photoblind and tripod right next to the feeder and I do mean right next to it! When I mounted my camera and macro lens onto the tripod the tip of the lens was a little less than a foot away from the feeder. I used some tape to block off all of the feeding ports except for the one on the side. When the hummingbirds started coming I was ready. I let them feed for awhile to get used to it and then I very slowly composed and focused the camera. Between the swinging of the feeder and the low light conditions I ended up with a lot of images that went directly into the trash. Three of them were just superb. I love the intimate look at the Annas' Hummingbirds that this macro lens could give. Hoping that you have a great weekend. God's blessings to all, chris All images were created with a Canon EOS 7D MkII camera and a Tamron SP DI 180mm Macro lens. The camera was mounted on a Manfrotto tripod with a Bogen 3055 Heavy duty ballhead. The camera settings used were manual focus, AV mode, ISO 800, F8.0, the shutter speeds used were 1/30th, 1/80th and 1/60th of a sec. #TeamCanon, #WithMyTamron

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let them feed as they are fueling up for their winter migration. Great photos, however, it is not unnatural to have feeders for hummingbirds as long as there is no red dye in the sugar water. Learn more at NoRedNectar.com #NoRedNectar

    ReplyDelete