Friday, March 24, 2017

Slender Salamander

Oh, the things I find at the bottom of the woodpile. Last time Jay and I were working on the woodpile we found a Coastal Giant Salamander. Yesterday afternoon while looking for some dry wood (we have had a bit of rain you know) I found a Slender Salamander. With their dark coloring they really blend into the forest floor. This one was buried in the damp forest duff under a piece of wood and I would have probably missed it had it not just barely moved its tail. This was probably meant as a distraction as their tails can easily detach and they can escape and then grow a new one. These guys are really small with very large adults being about five inches long. The is one pictured here was only about two inches long.God's blessings upon your weekend, chris Image created with a Canon 7D MkII and a 100mm macro lens. I used four led light panels for a light source. #teamcanon

No comments:

Post a Comment