Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Look Into the Not So Distant Past (Depending upon how old you are now.)

Wow, Digital Photography has really changed the way images are made. In the last twenty years there has been an explosion of images and how they are used. My first digital camera was a Sony Mavica that used floppy disks and could hold about ten images. Now a cell phone can produce and hold hundreds of high quality images and video. It can be uploaded and used in an ad or on a social media website in mere seconds. Today's image harkens back in time when I was photographing with film. In addition to my 35mm film cameras I had two 4 x 5 cameras. A wooden field camera and this wonderful old Crown Graphic press camera. I loved to use that camera because it had a built in hood on the back for viewing the ground glass and didn't need a cloth hood like the field camera. Both of these cameras shot 4 inch by 5 inch sheet film both black and white and color transparencies. I mostly shot color. Here is an image of the Crown Graphic photographed with a Canon 7D and a Canon 28-105 lens at 70mm. Camera settings used. Spot metering, Av mode,ISO 400,F 16.0 at .3 seconds. Two LED light sources and a black backdrop were used.Camera was placed on a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with a Bogen 3055 ballhead.

2 comments:

  1. The days of film! I remember them so well. My first camera was a Polaroid Instamatic. First digital was a Fuji. I love the digital age, with the instant gratification you get. I shot with digital professionally before, they became available to the general public. It's great to see so many moments in time shared now. I just hope people are printing their photos as much as they used too. Great photo Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Judy Chandlee, Thanks for dropping in and commenting. The film days were fun. I love the ease of digital but miss feeling prints in my hands.

    ReplyDelete