Saturday, May 8, 2010

Eel River Kayaking







This week I had the privilege to spend some time on two separate afternoons photographing Cate and Jeff from Liquid Fusion Kayaking in their freestyle/playboats on the Eel River above Dos Rios. On the second day they were joined by their friend Eric in a SOT whitewater kayak. If you get a chance look them up for a kayaking excursion. They are based out of the Noyo Harbor in Ft. Bragg, California.

http://www.liquidfusionkayak.com

It was a lot of fun chasing them down the river from rapid to rapid and trying to find a good vantage point from which to shoot from before they arrived at the rapid. Parking along the Dos Rios road is a bit sketchy at best. Both days were shot in less than desirable lighting conditions as it was in the harsh light of mid afternoon and most of the time I was shooting towards the sun and they were often shadow. In any case I had a wonderful time and I came away with a wonderful set of images and an appreciation for the athleticism that it takes to whitewater kayak. It's been many years since I have been kayaking on a river and it made me miss doing it.

God's light and love to all,

chris

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos! This section of the Eel River is a beautiful spot for whitewater kayaking.

    I know how hard it is to get action shots of kayakers.
    Photos & videos on whitewater river paddleboating trips - BRT Insights.
    I recommend using a polarizing filter on your camera to reduce the glare of sunlight on the surface of the water.

    ReplyDelete