Monday, January 24, 2011

Four Common Critters





This morning I sat in one of my photo blinds in the back yard. It has been awhile since I have done this and as always it was a wonderful experience. Sitting in a blind is a unique experience. Because you have such a small viewing area (at least in my blinds) your hearing becomes very acute and you seem to notice all the sounds around you. The splashing of birds bathing in my garden pond,the rush of wings as birds come in to feed and the rustle of the branches as the squirrels travel through the trees.

Visually it's a treat as well as you get to experience being close up to creatures that have very little idea of your presence. Today my blind was set up next to one of my bird feeders while I photographed at another. So I had birds and squirrels coming and going about two feet away from me. I could look out the side viewing port and they were right there.

Today I photographed the usual cast of characters that are very common to my area and to my feeders. Steller's Jay, Dark Eyed Junco, Chestnut Backed Chickadee and Western Gray Squirrels.

Here is a little background as to where they are found.

Steller's Jays have an extensive range. They are found from southern Alaska down to Central America. Inland they can be found all the way down the chain of the rockies. They have adapted to a wide range of habitats and have a wide and ranging diet.

Dark Eyed Juncos are found over most of North America from Northern Mexico northward covering all of the continental United States and the majority of Canada and Alaska except for some areas close to the Arctic Ocean.

Chestnut-backed Chickadees are found from coastal Alaska southward through to central California along the coastal mountains. They are also found in the western ranges of the Rocky Mountains in southern British Columbia, southern Alberta, and in western Montana. Thier preferred habitat is coniferous forest.

Western Gray squirrels have the most luxurious tails. I had to start with that as I love their tails. They can be found from the coastal mountains near the Mexico border north along the Sierra Nevada Range and along the 
coast to the southern Cascades clear up into Central Washington state.

A great day in the blind.

God's love and blessings to all,

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment