Wednesday, October 22, 2014

It's the Squirrels Turn

I slept in this morning until eight thirty or so. I looked out the front window to check my birds feeders and there were just a few birds pecking about. They must be out of seed I thought to myself. After a leisurely breakfast I grabbed my camera and a scoopful of black sunflower seed and ambled out to the photoblind. My first objective was to find Papaya the cat and put her away but she was nowhere to be found. A Western Gray Squirrel watched my approach and he scolded me from the top of one of the bird houses for my very presence. Soon after pouring the seed into the bird feeder the birds started arriving in force one after the other. I made a few images but what I really wanted was a Douglas Tree Squirrel. The Western Gray kept its distance knowing that I was there. It would start to come in close and then bolt away to the trees for safety. I watched two Douglas Tree Squirrels out on the periphery gathering up bits of a fungi they were tearing apart. Eventually one of them bounded past the Gray Squirrel and jumped up onto the knothole feeder. I made several images of it before it gave a cry of alarm and scrambled off for the trees. What had I done to scare it off I wondered? Papaya soon made her entrance to be petted and I called it a day. God is good all the time. There are just times that we don't know why. chris All images created with a Canon 7D and a EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens. Camera setting used- AV mode,ISO 800,F8.0 shutter speeds varied. The camera was supported with a Manfrotto 055PROBX tripod and an 055 Bogen ballhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment