Thursday, November 7, 2019

Simple Set Up

Yesterday afternoon I created a very simple set up for photographing birds in the front yard. I took a fairly large tan oak branch and set it up at an angle between two uprights. I fastened it into place with some decking screws. About ten feet behind it I set up a moderately green backdrop. Next I hung a feeder just above the branch so that the birds would have to land on the branch in order to get food from my single spout feeder. I set up my photoblind with a cushy office chair eight feet back from the branch. This morning I waited until both the branch and the background were both in even light. I didn't want any mixed light to have to deal with. I climbed into my photoblind and waited. I was in for a bit of a wait! After roughly a half hour a single Chestnut Backed Chickadee fluttered down to the branch reached up grabbed a seed from the bird feeder and took off. After that it was one bird after another for about forty five minutes. I stopped when the light started getting too harsh to photograph anymore.After uploading the images from my computer this image ended up being my favorite. God's light and love to all, chris This image was created with a Canon EOS 7D MKII camera and a Canon 100-400 IS V.1 lens at 400mm. The camera settings used were AV mode, ISO 1600, F 5.6 at 1/400th of a sec. Fill flash was provided by a Canon 500 EX Speedlight set to -1 1/3 stops. #teamcanonusa, teamcanon, #secretsofbackyardbirdphotography

2 comments: