Monday, November 16, 2020

Simple Set Up for Backyard Bird Photography

 Last night I created a simple set up for bird photography in the back yard. I erected two posts on the right and left sides of a platform bird feeder. The feeder is about ten feet out from the window of my studio. The tops were about  eight inches taller than the platform of the feeder. Next I took a piece of bailing wire and I used it to tie a mossy branch across the tops of the poles. The final step was to take some decking screws and attach some raw peanuts in the shell to the backside of the branch towards the middle. I did this by just screwing through the middle of the peanut right into the branch. Early this morning I got up and set my camera on a tripod facing out towards the feeder. I prefocused on the area of the branch where the peanuts were hidden. It didn't take very long for the Scrub Jays to show up. They love their peanuts! Both images were created with a Canon EOS 7D MKII camera and a Canon 100-400 IS v.1 lens. The camera settings used were AV mode, ISO 800, F 6.3 at 1/200th of a sec. God's blessings upon your week, 

Chris



1 comment: