Sunday, January 20, 2013

One Mountain Quail

One of the hardest birds to photograph where I live are Mountain Quail. There aren't very many of them and the ones that are here are extremely wary.I can't count the times that I have sat waiting in the photoblind for them and they never appeared. This afternoon I went out to the photoblind in the backyard just a little before three o'clock. I waited and waited. After about an hour I reached for my tripod to pack it up when I heard their feeding call coming from the forest down and to my right. About three minutes later they popped out of the woods onto the patio.For the next five minutes I succeeded in chopping off numerous topknots in my images. Those darn feathers are way too tall compared to California Valley Quail.It took awhile to get my lens adjusted to make sure it was fully included. I made about two more frames and moved my lens just a little too much and they were gone. God's light and love to all, chris

6 comments:

  1. Well worth the wait! It's a pretty bird;it must be a male with that pretty blue color. Keep up the good work! I'm praying for you and yours and your book endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, you are probably right that it is a male due to the long top knot (females are a little shorter). Thank you for your encouragement and especially the prayers.
      chris

      Delete
  2. We are birdwatchers, so you know how much I love this. He is beautiful! We have quail here, but I have never heard of Mountain Quail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you dropped by to see him, Ginny. They are a pretty cool quail!

      Delete
  3. Mountain quail score!! Congrats Chris :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got to see it Cairn.Thank you for your comment! This simple quail image has been a lot of work. I'm looking forward to making some even better ones.

      Delete