Monday, March 11, 2013

Bunch of Bunnies

I have always had a soft spot for small mammals and I love to photograph them. Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge near Denver,Colorado is a gold mine of smaller mammals especially Cottontail Rabbits. They thrive there due to an abundance of feed and readily available burrows from the Black Tailed Prairie dogs that live there as well. They are an important species as well providing a food source for many predators such as a variety raptors, Coyotes and Badgers. The refuge was a great place to photograph rabbits using my car as a photoblind. A slow approach with my rental car was usually all that was needed.The only problem I found with this approach was the rabbits didn't like the crunching sound of the cars tires on the snow. I had to work to avoid that.I used a bean bag made of well... pinto beans that I purchased at a local store to support my camera on the window sill of the car. When I finished my vacation I donated them to the maid at my hotel with a note that said to pass them onto a needy family if she didn't want them.I had a great time photographing the bunnies and I look forward to doing it again in the future. God's love and blessings to all, chris

4 comments:

  1. The cottontail rabbit has an excellent ear length to body ratio. Flop eared rabbits are a little over the top. I mean, seriously? Enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many bunnies for you, Sean. I'll have to restrain myself next time and place a bunny limit.Thanks for hopping in for a look.

      Delete