Sunday, March 22, 2015

Junco Junky

One of the most common birds in the area where I live are the cute little Dark Eyed Juncos. No matter that I probably have hundreds of images of them I still enjoy creating more. They are just a fun little bird to photograph. Part of it is because they are very approachable. They are also almost always the first birds to check out a new feeder when I put it up. A consequence of this is that I'm always photographing them to check out my composition and exposure. Luckily for me they are a pretty photogenic bird with quite a few types. At present all the types of juncos are lumped as one species called Dark Eyed Juncos. In the west where I'm located the main type found here is called the Oregon Junco. Alaska east down the Rockies and the eastern part of North America is the main domain of the Slate Colored Junco. The North central Rockies is where the Pink Sided Junco can be found and the White Winged Junco nests in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The Gray Headed Junco nest in the central Rockies and the mountains of the Great Basin of the west. Last but not least the Red Backed Junco can be found as a year round resident in Northern Arizona and New Mexico. I think it would be cool to photograph all of the types. This afternoon I spent about an hour in the photoblind at the Burris Ranch and here is one of my favorite junco images for today. God's love and blessings to all, chris Image created with a Canon 7D on a Manfrotto 190 XPROB tripod with a Bogen 3055 ballhead. The lens used was a Tamron 150-600 at 500mm. Camera settings used were ISO 800, F 8.0 at 1/500th of a sec. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.' Hebrews 13:8.

No comments:

Post a Comment