Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Outsmarting the Raven

Yesterday afternoon I spent some time in the backyard photoblind. My goal was to try and get images of some of the Band-tailed Pigeons that have started stopping by. I photographed some Juncos and then the Band-tails started dropping in. I wasn't in the blind much longer when I heard a Raven calling from the trees overhead. The Ravens where I live are extremely camera shy. I'm not sure why? A fellow photographer a couple miles down the ridge from me is on a friendly basis with them. Even my next door neighbor has a Raven that visits her regularly. With me they flee on sight. As soon as I heard it calling I didn't move. I just froze myself against the view finder on my camera. With a large flapping of wings the Raven came down. It touched the perch next to the feeder and flew off again. I remained motionless for what seemed an eternity before it came down again and landed on the perch. Just my luck my camera was out of position to photograph it. I had to very, very slowly move my lens over to the Raven and compose an image. At the very first click of the shutter it made a jerk and looked my way. Once again I froze in place until it started feeding again. I started clicking again. Eventually it leapt off the perch and went over to feed on a suet block. It flew away when it was satisfied with its meal. What a cool experience. God's light and love to all, chris Camera Equipment Used- Canon 7D, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod with a Bogen 3055 Ballhead. Camera Settings- AV mode, ISO 400,F stop F5.6,Shutter speed varied. #SecretsofBackyardBirdPhotography

No comments:

Post a Comment