Monday, January 12, 2015

Steller's Jays and Turkey Tails

I'm a thief! On Saturday helping Annika walk a friends dogs I spotted a great piece of wood in their yard. It had the most wonderous Turkey Tail Fungi growing on it. I knew it would make the best perch at my bird feeder for the jays to land on. On Sunday morning I was up bright and early setting up a new feeder and attaching the wood to the feeder. The Steller's Jays came in immediately and started to use it. Then there was a loud whooshing sound as a hawk made a fast pass over the feeder and all of the birds scattered. It was a long, long wait after that. I could hear the jays way down the ridge top as they slowly made their way back in my direction. I could hear them in the trees as they were deciding if it was safe to return. They waited and waited while first the Chestnut Backed Chickadees fed. Once the jays were satisfied it was safe they chased off the chickadees and began feeding again. I had just a marvelous time photographing them and I created a lot of great images. Thanks for the wood, David! God's love and blessings to all, chris All images created with a Canon 7D and a Canon 100-400 IS lens. AV mode, ISO 800, F stops and shutter speeds varied. Camera was supported on a Manfrotto 190 XPROB tripod with a Bogen 3055 ballhead

No comments:

Post a Comment