Saturday, May 16, 2015

It Takes some Patience

Yesterday I drove the auto loop at Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. This time of the year the refuge is mostly dry with a few ponds and it is devoid of the flocks of thousands upon thousands of ducks and geese. There is a lot of wildlife to be found in the form of rabbits, squirrels, hawks, dove and a few families of geese and as always ever present American Coots. The bird that fascinated me the most were the Marsh Wrens. They could be found around several of the ponds every thirty of forty feet or so. As I drove slowly along there would be a male on the highest bulrush singing its heart out to claim its territory. As soon as my pick up got close enough they would dive down into the cattails and continue singing from there. You could catch glimpses of them and the cattails moving but they wouldn't come out. I found that the easiest thing to do was stop right next to where you saw them last. I would then turn off the motor, poke the camera out the window and wait without moving. Usually I wouldn't have to wait very long before they would slowly work their way slowly upwards onto a nearby high spot. I had a great time photographing them. Gods love and blessings to all, chris All images created with a handheld Canon 7D and a Tamron 150-600mm lens. AV mode, ISO 400, Exposures varied. #Team Canon, #Bringit

No comments:

Post a Comment