Saturday, May 9, 2015

Way Back in Time

Right now we are at the start of a major clean up at our house. We are emptying all of the closets and getting rid of everything that we don't really need. Today I tackled the stairwell where most of my old camera gear is stashed. The coolest thing that I came across was my very first real camera. When I was sixteen my Dad gave me his old Argus C3 (nicknamed the brick). I think he gave it to me to keep me busy with something to keep my mind off of the fact that we were moving from Colorado to California at the time. I think his idea must have worked because I'm still taking photographs to this day. That old Argus forced me to learn how create an image because there wasn't a single automatic feature on it. You had to calculate exposures, focus and depth of field all on your own. Plus to make it even more difficult I started out shooting slide film which has very little forgiveness. I had a great time with that camera and I learned a lot from it. Now it is covered in dust but surprisingly it still works! I could throw a roll of film in it and step right back out and start creating images with it. So nice to run across an old friend. God's love and blessings to all, chris Image created with a Canon 7D and a Canon 17-85 mm lens at 85mm. Camera settings used were AVmode,ISO 100,F 18.0 at .50 sec. The camera was on a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with a Bogen 3055 ballhead. I used a black sweep and lighting was from two continuous source LED light panels one above and one off to the side.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Just came across mine as well not long ago, and it flushed me with memories of experiments in my first darkroom, a converted closet.
    In the not-too-distant future, only Wikipedia will know what a darkroom was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had a great experience learning photography as well. The learning never stops either. I think you are right on about people only knowing about the darkroom through wikipedia. Sad but true.

      Delete