Monday, December 2, 2013

Fresh Duck for Breakfast

Sunday morning I was up bright and early to capture the sunrise at the Arcata Marsh. On my way out I stopped at a convenient pull out on one of the ponds to photograph some Green Wing Teal that were right on the ponds edge. As I was photographing them there was a major commotion off to the right and behind them. All of the ducks in that vicinity were making a very fast exit from the area. Up popped a River Otter with a wing sticking out of its mouth swimming my way. It swam to shore and bit the neck of the hapless duck. Later on from my images I was able to figure out that it was a female Ruddy Duck. The otter chewed off the head and sat there for quite a while relishing eating it. It gnawed on it for quite awhile. It took a few breaks putting the head down down only to pick it up and start chewing on it again. It chomped away until only parts of the beak were left. Abruptly it slipped into the water and swam away. What an amazing sight to see. God's love and blessings to all, chris Equipment Used-Canon EOS 7D and a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens. Camera Setting- ISO 400, AV Mode, F5.6

No comments:

Post a Comment