Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Little Drumming and Some House Finches

I had a beautiful morning yesterday in the photoblind out on the Burris Ranch situated in the gorgeous Little Lake Valley of Northern California.There weren't too many birds as I haven't been too great about keeping the feeders fully stocked over the winter. The birds are slowly starting to realize that there is food in them once again. The Tree Swallows and Western Bluebirds have all taken up residence in the bird houses I put up. It's great to see them feasting on insects in and above the pasture. One of the most enjoyable experiences today was listening to the woodpeckers battling it out for territory all over the ranch.They were drumming on the ranch house walls, the barn, trees and even the telephone poles. Two of them discovered that the bird houses made a great hollow drum. I caught an image of one of them on a bird house near the photoblind.In addition to the Northern Flickers I also photographed a male House Finch. You can see that they are just starting to come into their breeding colors. It looks to be a great season for bird photography. God's blessings to all, chris

4 comments:

  1. There are many finches around my feeders, but those house finches are my faves. There's such a variety of coloration, from a dab of brick red on one to CalTrans orange covering the body of another. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cairn, They do indeed come in a wide variety of plumages. I love to see them in early spring. Glad to hear that you enjoy them too. Thanks for dropping in to see my photoblog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photographs, Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you stopped by for a look and left your comment. Thank you Carlos N Perez M.

    ReplyDelete